Greer Chamber Releases Its 2009 Legislative Agenda
October 27, 2008
Greer, SC: The Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce this week at its monthly Board meeting finalized its 2009 Legislative Agenda. The agenda, which will be delivered to the SC General Assembly in the coming weeks by lobbyists John DeWorken and Sunnie Harmon, entails all of the major issues that will help Greer, Upstate and state businesses be more competitive.
The creation of the 2009 Legislative Agenda began with a survey that was sent out to the entire Greer Chamber membership in July, which asked members to rank issues pertinent to the making their businesses more competitive. The result of the survey was then delivered to the Greer Chamber’s Legislative Committee, where it offered recommendations to the full Chamber Board, based on the survey results. The Chamber Board then deliberated on those recommendations and survey results before finalizing the 2009 Legislative Agenda.
“The Legislative Agenda is designed to inform legislators as to what we need from them to make our businesses more successful,” said Greer Chamber President and CEO John Kimbrell. “It also is the marching orders for our public policy team, John DeWorken and Sunnie Harmon, to go out and, with the help of legislators, get these issues done.”
The following is the Greater Greer 2009 Legislative Agenda:
• Support road/Infrastructure funding
• Support affordable healthcare for small businesses
• Support an increase to the cigarette tax
• Support Workers Compensation and Tort Reform in order to keep South Carolina Competitive
• Oppose the Card Check legislation (Employee Free Choice Act)
Energy and Environment
• Support alternative energy uses and programs
• Support the exploration of off-shore natural gas/oil drilling
• Support surface water withdrawal regulation
• To support providing incentives for expanding businesses and high impact entrepreneurs
• To support the expansion of the SC State Port
• To support an increase in Upstate tourism
• Support a Comprehensive Tax Reform (including school equity) at the state level
• To support and provide for more early childhood education
• Support Endowed Chairs program
The Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce is a voluntary, non-profit organization that represents approximately 590 businesses in the Greer area. The mission of the Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce is “To Champion Economic Prosperity for our members and the greater Greer community.” For more information on the Greater Greer Chamber of Commerce, call 864-877-3131 or visit www.greerchamber.com.